Monday, January 29, 2007

I'm having one of those days...

You know the kind where you feel really discouraged and a bit lonely. I have a bad feeling that I'm not going to get the Trinity job. That's not to say I won't be placed somewhere else that is as good or better than Trinity. But you know when you get your sights set on something and it doesn't happen, you kind of disregard everything else. Yeah, well. That's me today. I did go and register with another recruitment agency. I really wasn't feeling them though. The first agency I went to was much friendlier and helpful. Today I felt like the girl was being really pushy. I mean, I understand that she usually works with people who desperately need work and need to start a job. But when she makes it difficult to say no, that's a problem. Like I told her that I had registered with this first place and that they were going to try and place me at Trinity, and that I would know by tomorrow probably, and she was all like "Well, we have a place open starting tomorrow for two weeks, and we really like commitment". And I said "Ok, can I wait until Monday" and she was like "Well, this position would have to start tomorrow, not on Monday", and so I said "Well then I'll have to pass on that one until I hear about Trinity". Then I couldn't really read her feelings about that. She just said "Ok, that's fine, just call me on or around Wednesday to tell me what you're doing" and I said "Alrighty". But then on the elevator down she was all like "Who did you speak with at the Meghen Group?", and "What department are they putting you in at Trinity". It was like she was getting all this information so she could call and make sure I didn't get it. Now, I'm sure that's not what she was doing. She may have been making conversation, but it was weird. Then I had to take this stupid computer test to determine my level of proficiency with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and typing speed. This would have been fine, except that on some questions, the way I would typically do a task it kept saying was wrong. So I would have to figure out how to do it using the damn toolbar as opposed to right clicking. And there were some things that I seriously could not figure out to do, especially on Powerpoint. But whatever. She said I got good scores. I don't care that I got good scores. I hate when things are frustrating. It puts me in a bad mood for the rest of the day.

And this whole apartment search thing is really bothering me. I have always hated apartment searching, and it's even worse when I have to do it alone. It involves too many phone calls to people who don't speak english. You would think that not sleeping through the night would be incentive enough to leave the hostel, but it's really not.

Also, apparently I have to get a PPS number (the equivalent to our SSN) and it takes a lot of work to do, and proof of residence and all this shit. And then I need to do something for tax purposes so that they aren't taking 42 percent out of each check. But I need my PPS to do that. Then I also have to set up a bank account which includes having proof of employment and residence. It's all just a lot of work for only four months. If I were staying for a year I could understand all this crap. I'd almost rather just have them give me a check and mail it home every week to get deposited in my account there. But I guess that's not reasonable.

I'm just having one of those days. Maybe the whole Trinity thing will work out and I'll be able to get an apartment with people who speak my language. Right....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am much too lazy to go through all that hog shit to get a job. It sounds VERY stressful. You do need to play some pool. I know how you feel about interviewers/job help people being stupid asscracks, story of my Texas life.

You can always turn tricks in the mean time. I can be your online Pimp. I only ask for 30% of your earnings. ;p

Unknown said...

I'm sorry it's so frustrating. It sounds like it really sucks. I'm sure that makes you feel better, because you didn't know it sucked before I told you it did.

You really should call Trinity or Meghen and follow up on your interview. It'll look good and you'll feel better because you'll have a better idea of where you stand.

By the way, I guess I overestimated how much romeo was shaved. It's really just around his penny hole, and around his ball-scar. For a while I was beginning to think he was really female because his belly was so big and we never did find any testies on him. Turns out, they were just under all of his fur. So if I get you a picture, it's going to be of his genitals. Still wanna see?

Anonymous said...

boooo katie..i'm so sorry you are having a frustrating day. you need to just sit down and make a list of things you need to do and places you have to go and then make it a point to cross of as many things as you can tomorrow. that always makes me feel a lot better. you're in ireland! enjoy yourself...

off to your next blog...