Sunday, January 28, 2007

It's nothing if not interesting...

Such an interesting day yesterday. The last we spoke I was mentioning the things I hate the most. Well, after that I got ridiculously bored and left the hostel. I walked around for a while and came across a rally. That's right. Apparently the Irish are still angry over British control of Northern Ireland.

Banner waving by the Patriotic Irish


I stood there for a while listening to them talk and then left. It was fun to witness something like that. I kept on walking and ended up at a movie theatre, but didn't see a movie because the only one I wanted to see wasn't going to start for like two hours. I just kept walking around for a while, did a window shopping, and then headed back to the hostel.

This is where it gets some-what good. When I got back to the hostel a very large group of middle aged Belgian punk rocker emo fuckers had moved into my room, and were already drunk. It was like 4 o'clock at this point. One of them was already passed out on the floor. There's a south african guy staying in my room and apparently he had told the Belgians where he was from, cause when I walked into the room they were all like "SOUTH AFRICA! WOO!". I just stared at them and said "I'm not from South Africa". So of course they asked me where I was from, and of course I don't think anything of telling them I'm American. Apparently I underestimated the hatred that Belgians have for Amercians. Before I knew it I had like six Belgians telling me how much they hate Americans and how stupid we all were. I was like "Alright, well we're not all stupid", and continued to argue my case for seriously like twenty minutes before they decided that they needed to go. I was like "Peace out, dudes, try not to wake me when you come back in". At this point the group of Brits came back in. So I sat and talked with them for a bit. Then they decided to go out. I utterly despise when there is a large group of people who are on friendly terms with someone traveling alone and they don't invite that one lonely person to go out with them. If I were with a group and had been speaking with one person I would have invited them along. Where was my fucking invite, bitches. That seriously happened like three times. Some people would come in, chat with me, and then leave. So the Brits leave and I am left staring at my feet.



That is when I said "Screw it", and left. I didn't go to a bar or anything by myself, but it was kind of fun to walk around on a Saturday and look at all the fucking idiots standing outside in 30 degree weather wearing nothing but a short skirt and tank top. Because, you know, smoking in any public place is against the law here in Ireland, so they all have to go outside. It's great. I stopped in at a Kabab shop and had some dinner, and then walked back to the hostel. I walked into my room and...

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, those are two drunk Belgians passed out on the floor. Why they didn't pass out in the beds is beyond me. Doesn't it take just as much effort to climb into bed as it does to fall onto the floor. Apparently. The South African was also in the room and we talked for a little while and then we both started reading. Not long after that, the Brits came back in, and got into bed. Then not long after that the rest of the Belgians came back. I'm not sure how many of you have ever met a Belgian. They're obnoxious. These more so than others. It was apparent that most of the people in the room were trying to go to sleep and yet, these motherfuckers kept right on laughing and screaming in Flemish. One of the British girls very politely said "Could you guys please try and keep it down, there are people trying to sleep". So they stopped talking for a while, but of course, that didn't last. Mr. Britain then got up and turned the lights out. That didn't deter them. Finally, Mr. South Africa said "Guys, why are you doing this, shut the fuck up". At that point I could see that this was not going to be an early night. The Belgians were so ridiculously drunk that I'm sure they didn't even understand what Mr. South Africa was saying. So finally, one of the lady brits went to complain about them. The receptionist came up and said "Get off the floor, get into bed, and if there's one more complaint, I'm going to kick you out". By the way, this was at 3:00 in the morning. Of course this wasn't the last we would hear from the Belgians. Not ten minutes after the receptionist left, they started up again. And again the lady Brit complained. Apparently when the receptionist said that one more complaint would have them kicked out, what he really meant was "One more complaint, and then me witnessing you being dickheads, and I'll kick you out", because he came back up and sat there for a while to see if they would cause problems. Well I wanted to be like "Um, the Belgians aren't stupid. They know you're here and of course they aren't going to do anything with you around." And they didn't. So the receptionist obviously couldn't do anything about it. So he left and we all layed back down.

This is where it gets a little creepy and slightly melodramatic. One of the Belgians gets up to go to the restroom, and is obviously drunk. Like to the point that he can barely see. So he makes his way to the bathroom and then comes back out and I'm watching him because, well, I'm awake, what else is there to do, and it's obvious he doesn't know where his bed is because he's headed in the wrong direction. At that point I probably should have gotten up to help him, but I didn't. He started climbing into one of the lady brits beds, and two of them sit up and start screaming at him. He realizes his mistake and gets back into his own bed, but not before the lady brits are ready to have him castrated. They run down to the desk and the receptionist comes up, but again, he can't really do anything because it's not like the Belgian attacked the girl, he just made a bit of a mistake on which bed to go to. But the Brits don't like that explanation. What's interesting though, is it's not the girl who's bed he climbed into that is making all the fuss. It's her two friends, who are apparently starved for attention. They want them thrown out or moved or something, but there are no beds available and they can't be thrown out. So while this is all going on me, Mr. South Africa, and Mr. Australia were just looking at each other, all of us thinking "Are you fucking kidding me, just shut the fuck up and go to bed".

But it doesn't end there. Oh no. The Brits call the police. That's right. They call the Garda to come and do something about the Belgians. So the cops come, but there was no assault or anything like that, so it's not really their place. It was the responsibility of the hostel to appease the issue. Since the cops couldn't do anything about it, and the hostel wouldn't do anything about it, the lady brits decided to just sleep on the couches in the lobby. So that was resolved a bit. At this point it was seriously 5:30 in the morning. The sun was rising as I was falling asleep.

You would think that after all that, I would be able to sleep all day, right? WRONG!!! The Belgians wake up at 9 and start making noise again. That's right 9 in the morning, like 3 hours after I had been able to fall asleep. I thought they would just get up and leave, but they didn't. Mr. South Africa was also awake at this point, who was also kept awake till 5:30. I finally sat up in bed and was like "Listen guys. Because of you we weren't able to go to sleep until 5:30 in the morning, and now you wake us up 3 hours later. Could you just shut up or leave". They shut up for a while, but not before Mr. South Africa has to yell again "Guys, stop talking". So they leave and decide to go have smoke outside, directly outside of our window. I jumped out of bed walked over to the window while one of them was saying "Oh, sorry", and I was like "No really, it's ok, I'll just close the window" and I slammed the window shut. So we had some peace and quiet for a bit until they seriously were getting ready to leave. Since they thought they were on friendly terms with me, as they were leaving they were all like "Goodbye, sorry for the noise, we hope you come to Belgium, we'll miss you, etc." and I was like "Yeah, whatever, I probably won't, sorry if we don't feel the same way, Peace". What I wanted to say was "You hate Americans so much, and it was all the Europeans in the room who caused you the most trouble asshole". But I didn't, and they FINALLY left.

Now, not to make light of the whole situation or anything, but the lady brits came back up and were talking about how the hostel should have done something considering one of the Belgians was going to rape one of them. I was thinking to myself "Good lord, he wasn't going to rape her, he just got mixed up as to where he was going. Who hasn't done that". Not to say that I wouldn't have been a little creeped out if the same thing had happened to me, but I'm pretty sure I would have understood he didn't have any malicious intentions. They calmed down a bit, and got ready for the day, and left.

So, the moral of the story... Belgians and drinking do not mix well... Also, weird things always seem to happen in hostels.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jesus Christ!! What a night!! I can't believe you were so quiet about the whole thing, but you know me. I would have made sure that the Belgians never made it back into the room the first time, and I probably would have told their sorry asses off, but that's just me.

Are they returning tonight? I think you should move to another hostel where the rooms are smaller and maybe single sex.

Have you gotten a full night's sleep at all since you got there?

Mother to be... said...

Nope, haven't gotten a good night's sleep... but I really don't mind the co-ed thing... I mean honestly... girls can be just as annoying as boys, even more so sometimes... And the Belgians left this morning, so we're good to go... There are some more French guys in there now... MMMMMM

Unknown said...

oh and I have more to add to what I said before.

If you're in a hotel and you complain twice about a guest, the hotel will ask that person to leave. It's common courtesy and customer service on the hotel's part. They shouldn't need to see anything happen. If a guest is complaining, then they're not happy and not likely to return to that business. The bitch at the hostel should have kicked out the Belgians. It's absurd that they didn't. I'd report them to the hotel association of Ireland, if there is one.

Anonymous said...

FUCK THOSE BELGIAN EMOOOOOOOO FUCKERS! Just looking @ that picture pissed me off + made me wanna vomit. They look seriously disgusting + look like they smell. I hate them. I hate how every country disses America, but ends up immigrating here + steals good Christian jobs away from me!!! Katie, you need your own place pronto.